Los Angeles, California, United States
Bark and Purr Alliance Fund (BandPAF) is a not-for-profit group established to provide pet owners financial assistance with veterinary costs associated with 1.) traffic accident related pet injuries and 2.)end of life issues, e.g., hospice care, humane euthanasia for geriatric and terminally ill pets. B&PAF also provides mini-grants to qualified rescues, independent rescuers and private adopters to cover shelter pull fees and expedite animal rescue efforts deemed "last chance" emergency cases. Funding priority is given to geriatric rescues (13 yrs - up) and life threatening injury cases. In addition to providing financial support, Bark & Purr also assists with ongoing advocacy efforts championing good quality of life solutions for senior and geriatric aged companion animals that enter the Los Angeles County & City funded shelter system. Bark & Purr also participates in the larger cross-posting community that use social media to vigorously network super senior/geriatric aged dogs and cats to potential adopters and rescue organizations in Los Angeles.

Friday, January 14, 2011

AN OLD DOG'S PRAYER

Mz. Lucy Lawless, the Warrior Princess
Rescued from the
Los Angeles County Animal Care & Control - Lancaster Shelter
on Tuesday, November 9, 2010
15 year old, female
 Bark & Purr Alliance Fund Pack Member 


AN OLD DOG'S PRAYER

One by one, they pass by my cage,
Too old, too worn, too broken, no way....
Way past his time, he can't run and play.
Then they shake their heads slowly and go on their way.
A little old man, arthritic and sore,
It seems I am not wanted anymore.

I once had a home, I once had a bed,
A place that was warm, and where I was fed.
Now my muzzle is gray, and my eyes slowly fail.
Who wants a dog so old and so frail?
My family decided I didn't belong,
I got in their way, my attitude was wrong.
Whatever excuse they made in their head,
Can't justify how they left me for dead.
Now I sit in this cage, where day after day,
The younger dogs get adopted away.

When I had almost come to the end of my rope,
You saw my face, and I finally had hope.
You saw through the gray, and the legs bent with age,
And I felt I still had life beyond this cage.
You took me home, gave me food and a bed,
And shared your own pillow with my poor tired head.
We snuggle and play, and you talk to me low,
You love me so dearly, you want me to know.
I may have lived most of my life with another,
But you outshine them with a love so much stronger.
And I promise to return all the love I can give,

To you, my dear person, as long as I live.
I may be with you for a week, or for years,
We will share many smiles, you will no doubt shed tears.
And when the time comes that God deems I must leave,
I know you will cry and your heart, it will grieve.
And when I arrive at the Bridge, all brand new,
My thoughts and my heart will still be with you.
And I will brag to all who will hear,
Of the person who made my last days so dear.
      
         -Author unknown

Lucy's RESCUE Story

"Lucy"
Impound photo/# - A4208450
Mis-ID'd as a long haired Dachshund
with multiple health issues.
Animal Right's activist and Reiki Practitioner, Robin Skov
posts her impound photo on Facebook.
Bark & Purr pledges pull and vetting $ for her rescue
No interest, Bark & Purr visits Lucy.

Bark & Purr visited Lucy twice and after the first
visit, we knew that it just would not be right to
have her pass on in that little steel enclosed kennel
she was housed in. We knew she needed
good, hospice care.

Cute Lucy posing like a star inside the "rescue bag" given
to us by Robin Skov! She was a pretty girl, curious with
a lot of energy for a 15 year old senior! She goes
straight to Mar Vista Animal Medical Center in the
capable hands of VetTech Extraordinaire, Rin Lennon!
She get's a blood panel done which later on shows
extensive problems with her liver and thyroid.

Here's Lucy with her amazing rescue foster, Bernadette J. Gonzales.
Her and her partner Ian Watermeier, Dodger & Koda were
wonderful hosts and for five days, Lucy had a great
warm home to de-stress from being in the shelter.
They affectionately nicknamed her "Circle Bear" because
she would non-stop walk around their back yard!
Go! go! go! Lucy! 

Here's Lucy cuddling with Bark & Purr's official dada, Peter Brightman.
She got along with the Bark & Purr pack and was just a sweetheart
in the Bark & Purr home base in Los Feliz. She stayed with us
until we could find her a more permanent foster home.


Following the thread that Lucy might be a mini-Sheltie, we contacted  the
Sheltie Rescue in San Diego and Sarai and Paul Johnson gladly
answered the plea to foster her. Wonderful and knowledgeable rescuers!
Here she is in her crate in Paul's office with an area heater to keep her warm.
They had a wonderful garden that Lucy liked to circle!
They came to the conclusion that Lucy was actually a long haired chihuahua. 


November 18, 2011
Upon the recommendation of Sarai & Paul's vet,
Lucy was humanely euthanized
due to her advanced liver issues.
Sarai said that everyone in the vet's office were enamored
by Lucy and everyone stopped by to fawn over her.
RIP Little girl -- you were a treasure to know
even for that short a time!
We at Bark & Purr miss you everyday!

===
Big thanks for this wonderful post, "AN OLD DOG'S PRAYER" forwarded to us today from one 
of our favorite people:




No comments:

Post a Comment